The main objective of marshals is to ensure the physical safety of spectators and to ensure fair play for the professionals. This is achieved through gallery control using the marshal’s hands, eyes and voice. Marshals are the largest group of volunteers and one of the most important. This committee works on the course and in high traffic areas to assist LPGA Tour players and ensure the safety of spectators. Hole Captains and assistant hole captains are a part of the marshal group. Marshals must be available at least three (3) days, Thursday through Sunday. Hole Captains need to be available all four (4) days, Thursday through Sunday. Uniforms are mandatory.
Marshals are stationed in the following areas:
- Each tee and putting green
- Landing areas
- Corporate hospitality venues
- Marshal responsibilities include:
- Spotting balls in the fairway
- Watching for errant shots
- Providing gallery control
- Keeping play proceeding smoothly
- Assisting patrons with information
As part of the sponsor experience at the Portland Classic, we provide volunteer caddies for sponsors playing in the Monday and Wednesday Pro-Am’s. As a Pro-Am caddie, you will be paired with an amateur golfer in one of our sponsor teams. You are not expected to have professional caddie experience. Each group will be paired with one LPGA Professional and their caddie. The LPGA Pro caddie will take the lead for the group. Caddies will need to be able to walk a full 18 holes with a golfer’s bag of clubs. There will be pull carts available, though limited, for use or you may bring your own. Golf rounds take approximately 5 hours to complete once the round begins. Please understand caddies will be required to check in well in advanced to be assigned to their golfer. Pro-Am caddie volunteers are needed Monday, August 27th and Wednesday, August 29th.
Walking Scorers follow a group of professionals during play to keep on course statistics and scores on a handheld “Palm” type computer device that is used to track each player’s performance. Scorekeepers will carry a voice radio and headset for communication with the LPGA scoring truck. There will be a mandatory instructional session prior to the tournament’s start date. On-site support will be provided by LPGA scoring staff. Volunteers are needed Thursday through Sunday and uniforms are mandatory.
- Understand golf rules, etiquette, and be customer service oriented
- Be available at least three (3) days, Thursday – Sunday
- Be able to walk 18 holes, rain or shine, while wearing the proper equipment
- Keep statistics, as well as the score for groups of two to three golfers
NOTE: This committee has a very high retention rate from year to year; as a result, priority will be given to returning scorers.
Transportation volunteers shuttle players to and from the airport, golf course, hotels, etc. Volunteers are needed in transportation all days: Sunday, August 24th through Monday, September 1st.
Volunteering as a standard bearer is a great opportunity for junior golfers. Standard bearers maintain the over/under boards, commonly known as standards. Bearers carry the standards around the golf course to allow the public in attendance to know who is in the bearer’s group and how well the competitors are playing. Each group will have an experienced walking scorer that will accompany the standard bearer throughout the round.
Morning and afternoon shifts are available for Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
Standard Bearers must:
- Be capable of carrying the 15-pound standard from hole to hole. A holster is provided to rest the standard in while moving from hole to hole. Additionally, every green is equipped with a pole on which the standard may be secured while the players finish the hole.
- Follow any instructions provided to you by the walking scorer.
- Under no circumstances may standard bearers use any electronic device. This includes cell phones and music players.
Volunteer Registration is
Thank you for your interest in becoming a volunteer. The success of the Portland Classic depends on the commitment of a small army of volunteers made up of people just like you. Being a volunteer is a unique experience that is fun and exciting. Each year thousands of volunteers donate their time to LPGA events across the country and around the world, serving critical needs such as marshaling, scoring, transportation, hospitality services and many other important jobs.
We look forward to seeing you in August.
All volunteers receive:
- One (1) volunteer credential which will provide admission every day of the tournament week and will identify you as an official tournament volunteer
- One (1) volunteer golf shirt
- One (1) additional weekly Tournament Ticket
- One (1) volunteer parking pass
- Complimentary coffee and pastries during morning check-in
- Complimentary lunch & beverage in the volunteer tent
If you have any questions, feel free to contact
(503) 626-2711 ext.12